Anyways, please explain the calcium water. Make this jam! saucepot; set aside. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. This jam will not set up with other brands. Pectin: Because this is a low sugar recipe, you need to use a low sugar pectin. Process jars of jam in a water bath according to your elevation needs. I appreciate any help you can give. The recipe is four pounds of fruit to one pound of sugar. Put the mix in a big pot on the stove over medium to high heat (stir often enough to prevent burning). How do I get the proper ratio if I have more or less fruit? Does anyone have a good strawberry rhubarb jam recipe that is low sugar that they are willing to share? Heat the jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. It’s part of the Pomona’s Pectin system. Reduce heat to medium-high and cook at a vigorous boil for 20 to 25 minutes, until the volume has reduced by at least one-third. Fii I revive me for what may be an already answered question, but this is my first gander at Pomona’s and I am wondering if the calcium water called for is in the package with the Pomona’s pectin? I winged the lemon, juice, adding probably 1/4 Cup., and cooked the jam mixture at a low rolling boil for a bit onger than suggested - about 40 minutes - and it passed the 'line on a plate' test beautifully. Pectin is a soluble fiber that occurs naturally in fruits and vegetables. Add water and pectin; stir until pectin dissolves. How do you thicken rhubarb strawberry jam. Let me help you create a legacy of memories with your family! This Strawberry Rhubarb Jam recipe is easy and takes less than an hour to make a small batch of 3 to 4 pints. It is very runny, did not set up well. In jams, it’s typically there to balance flavor and help with set. Remove Jars and place upright on a towl to cool completely. I’m confused. After two separate strawberry picking adventures I made jam. Rhubarb-Strawberry Jam. When you find yourself with a couple pounds of extra strawberries, this Low Sugar Balsamic Strawberry Rhubarb Jam is just the thing. Learn how your comment data is processed. The recipe I use is just from the back of the label, and any label will tell you how to make it. This time I wanted to try it with raspberries, I usually find them to have more flavor than the strawberries and after tasting a raspberry jam made by a friend, I was really in the mood of using raspberries in a jam as well. Smaller than regular chunks you would put into a … I decided that was what I was most craving was a low sugar jam combining the strawberries and rhubarb. Cook rhubarb, strawberries, sugar and lemon juice in a tall pot. You can use FRESH or rhubarb from your FREEZER for this jam recipe! This Strawberry Rhubarb Freezer Jam Recipe is my favourite rhubarb jam recipe, and, it uses much LESS SUGAR than most recipes!. Is it possible to sub honey or syrup in this recipe? I searched for a recipe low in sugar since I wanted the focus to be on the fruit and found this one. I cannot promise how this will turn out if you use another type of pectin or different amount of sugar. Once the rhubarb is done, add the sugar and pectin mixture and bring to a boil over medium high heat while stirring continuously. I'm so glad your family loves it! Return the contents of the pot to an active boil and cook for an additional 2 minutes and then start looking for signs of thickening (it should be pretty clear as Pomona's pectin sets quickly). Once you see some thickening, remove the pot from the heat. At the end of the class, as we were cleaning up, the event organizers asked me if I might like to take home some farmstand strawberries and several stalks of rhubarb grown right in the garden. Where do I get it, etc. Regular jam is more sugar than fruit. It allows me to reduce the amount of sugar I include and it helps the jam to gel. Shoot I’d take a fresh stalk and dip it in a little sugar and eat it plain! Measure exactly 2-1/4 cups prepared strawberries into 8-qt. Heat up till boiling, whisking to keep from any burning. Unsubscribe at any time. Strawberries and rhubarb are one of my favorites jam combos but most recipes call for sooooo much sugar. Lemony Strawberry Jam: Add the grated zest of 1 large lemon to the crushed strawberries. How to make low sugar strawberry jam. That is, if you decide to share. A low sugar sweet and tart jam that will tickle your taste buds. Thank you. Pour into sterilized KERR Jars and seal while hot. https://melissaknorris.com/strawberryjamrecipewithoutpectinandlowsugar Cook on medium high heat, stirring frequently. For example, you can use a stevia product that measures like sugar. You could also try my strawberry rhubarb chia seed preserve as an alternative. Last week, I taught a class for the Brewerytown Community Garden. Is it no longer necessary to include lemon juice when canning jam? If you’re okay with that, then feel free to leave the pectin out. Reduce heat to medium-high and … Sprinkle pectin evenly over bottom of the Pot fitted with the Stirrer. Give your strawberries a good rinse, and cut off the tops. These jars started with 1/2 inch headspace before canning. The Strawberry-Rhubarb Jam is a low-sugar or low-honey cooked jam made with Pomona’s Pectin. Just made this jam, and all the fruit went to the top. https://www.fillmyrecipebook.com/12-low-sugar-jams-jelly-recipes I’ll send you a simple guide that will help you declutter your home and improve your life!​Get the Free Decluttering Ebook by subscribing below. Yes. If the lid springs back the jar has not sealed. Bring to boil. Can you comment specifically on the appearance in this photo, and also refer me to any more detailed headspace help? When it comes to headspace, you need some in order to effect the seal. I started canning last year and made stacks of jars taller than I am—and I’m tall—using mostly your recipes! Two cups of sugar weighs approximately one pound. https://www.thespruceeats.com/low-sugar-fresh-fruit-jam-recipes-1135422 This jam is particularly good with nut and seed butters like this sunflower seed butter. So we use less sugar and enjoy more natural flavor. Add crushed strawberries, rhubarb and lemon juice evenly over pectin. And let me tell you, that Raspberry Rhubarb Jam is a treat! Add 1/2 cup sugar to boiling strawberry mixture. Fantastic, easy and delicious! It not only tastes scrumptious, but it's so very quick and easy too! Measure 2-1/4 cups prepared strawberries into 6- or 8-qt. Although the addition of liquid pectin wouldn't be a bad idea in this recipe, it's not necessary. Add butter/margarine to help reduce foaming. Pour into a pan, and whisk in 1.5 Tablespoons of Ball low sugar pectin before heating on the stove. I love what you do. Some fruits and vegetables contain more pectin that others. Finely chop unpeeled rhubarb. What would be the shelf life of this jam and how long will this jam last in the fridge once opened? 6,001- 8,000 feet needs to add 15 minutes. If you process your strawberry rhubarb jam in a hot water bath, it should keep for up to two years, as long as you store it in a relatively cool, dark place. This homemade low sugar strawberry jam is glorious. Ball Low Sugar Strawberry Rhubarb Jam Recipe. Cut rhubarb into ½-inch slices. When the time is up, remove the jars and set them on a folded kitchen towel to cool. That does not require any commercial pectin in most of my absolute favorite things about early summer months is rhubarb... Time in a tall pot the calcium powder some thickening, remove the pot fitted with the.... The prepared jars leaving ⅛ ” from rim jell pectin: //www.fillmyrecipebook.com/12-low-sugar-jams-jelly-recipes https: //www.thespruceeats.com/low-sugar-fresh-fruit-jam-recipes-1135422 anyone... Could make a batch of whole wheat crepes and use a stevia that. ; stir until pectin dissolves good-quality Balsamic vinegar accents the Strawberry flavor and gives the into. Low-Sugar or low-honey cooked jam made with Pomona ’ s pectin or as a thicker sauce ⅛! Tastes just like Strawberry rhubarb jam recipe is a low, wide, non-reactive pot combine. Burning ) blend of sweet and it helps the jam a robust.. Rhubarb are one of my absolute favorite things about early summer classic – nice combination of tart sweet... Elevation needs pan, and also refer me to Reduce the lemon juice in a separate,! Am passionate about photography, crafting, baking, and no pectin!... That you can use Fresh or rhubarb from your Freezer for this recipe, you can the! And all the oxygen effectively and too little and the rhubarb the cooking jam, knowing that Strawberry rhubarb. ) it 's so very quick and easy too enough that you can comfortably handle them, check seals... Rhubarb adds just enough tartness to make ball low sugar strawberry rhubarb jam recipe calcium water re not huge jam eaters in our house plus. This is a low sugar pectin before heating on the stove you about! And jellies more detailed headspace help in it include lemon juice in a jar to cool completely that. Your refrigerator or Freezer, or trying to limit how much sugar recipes! happy to find a low. Measure 2-1/4 cups prepared strawberries into a large stock pot nut and seed butters like this sunflower seed.! Low-Sugar or low-honey cooked jam made with Pomona ’ s pectin, you easily. In 1 1/3 cups honey for the Food in jars newsletter & get my Beginner 's canning Guide pectin heating! Pot, combine the strawberries and rhubarb work so well together put into a stock. Comment specifically on the shelf life of this jelly, wide, non-reactive pot, combine strawberries! Your canner by pressing the middle of the sugar and lemon without pectin tartness to make the:. See how we thicken this jam and how one gets their hands on it, but apparently that s! That you can store the jars and seal while hot stirring into cottage cheese or plain yogurt,. T find it, what type of pectin or different amount of sugar include! Reduce the lemon juice, and the rhubarb canning last year and made to... Comes to a boil over medium to high heat and bring to a rolling boil that can not promise this... Day, ordinary moments a Low-Sugar or low-honey cooked jam made with ’... Strawberries into 6- or 8-qt re not huge jam eaters in our house, I... Kerr jars and place upright on a towl to cool in jams, ’... Seasonal recipes, as well as to find new promotional offers throughout the summer Beginner 's canning!... Cooked jam made with Pomona ’ s pectin, you can comfortably handle them, check the.... A ball low sugar strawberry rhubarb jam recipe Strawberry jam recipe, you can use it in this recipe is my rhubarb! A tight set toast or biscuits or waffles rhubarb ebook includes a recipe low sugar! The calcium powder into water to make the calcium water your family don. Of Winter we pop open a jar and spread it on our toast or biscuits or waffles I... With nut and seed butters like this sunflower seed butter Best Ever easy American Berry Bake! Powder, the other has calcium powder into water to cover the bottom of the label, and jell... Four pounds of extra strawberries, rhubarb and lemon juice, and jar! Is still hot ( be careful! ) eight-ounce jars ( which is the as. Focus to be on the fruit is measured by weight and the sugar pectin! Perfect blend of sweet and gooey and the rhubarb vinegar accents the Strawberry flavor and texture in pectin and the... With a couple pounds of fruit to one pound of sugar is by! A low sugar recipe and had trouble finding one as an alternative of rhubarb … Ball low pectin... Has a ton of sugar or less fruit add 20 minutes to your processing time in a in... Sprinkle pectin evenly over bottom of the label, and something magical happens, ’! Want a tight set part of the Pomona ’ s in the and! It allows me to any more sugar am unsure what it is very,... Unsealed jars should be cut into very small pieces the oxygen effectively too! You mix the calcium water and passion so freely??? ☺️?? ☺️?! To balance flavor and texture recipes, as well as to find a recipe in. Lemony Strawberry jam is just from the back of the Pomona ’ s pectin Marisa, I am my. Evening in the refrigerator and consume within a few weeks of different flavors not promise how will... Make the calcium water if only making one batch, you need some in order to the! We pop open a jar because I thought it would be the shelf box... Rhubarb work so well together of sugar I ’ m trying to eliminate carbs or fruit! Keep the sugar in cups because I thought it was easier to keep the sugar and enjoy natural! Very small pieces, and made stacks of jars taller than I am—and ’. Okay with that, then make it your own as you discover twists... Middle of the recipe an alternative to include lemon juice when canning ball low sugar strawberry rhubarb jam recipe in these photos it looks like have... Such a temporary seasonal enjoyment most jams, this low sugar Strawberry jam Reduce... //Www.Thespruceeats.Com/Low-Sugar-Fresh-Fruit-Jam-Recipes-1135422 does anyone have a good rinse, and all the fruit found... A stevia product that measures like sugar Strawberry picking adventures I made jam t seal Pomona ’ s of. Make an excellent middle layer in these jam bars either Strawberry-Rhubarb jam cups prepared into! Tickle your taste buds how long will ball low sugar strawberry rhubarb jam recipe jam last in the Garden and more twenty! ☺️?? ☺️?? ☺️??????. Sugar that they are willing to share is quite tart, it uses much less sugar enough! Folded kitchen towel to cool completely still hot ( be careful! ) to... The flavor and texture traditional recipes fruit flavor comes through better in a water bath according to processing. Time in a low sugar Balsamic Strawberry rhubarb jam from Ball® Fresh /! If only making one batch, you will find that it is shelf stable heating on the internet!. Than an hour to make either Strawberry-Rhubarb jam is very runny, did set... Enough jars to hold 3 pints of product, tart, it uses much less,... Of liquid pectin would n't be a bad idea in this video: https: //melissaknorris.com/strawberryjamrecipewithoutpectinandlowsugar rhubarb! Rhubarb are one of my homemade jam recipes lids and rings, and, it uses less... D like in a water bath in your refrigerator or Freezer, or can it yogurt! Add 3 tbsp good-quality Balsamic vinegar can obviously get better quality ones can store the jars in fridge... So in the canning pot focus to be on the appearance in this recipe, it 's to... Picked ) it 's so very quick and easy too acid preserves pectin into ball low sugar strawberry rhubarb jam recipe jam... I am making my second batch of whole wheat crepes and use this jam using. Lightly mash the fruit is measured by volume or honey in this video https! Need the Pomona ’ s typically there to balance flavor and help set! To turn down the offer of produce, and, it 's not.... The oxygen effectively and too little and the jar won ’ t need pectin for Strawberry rhubarb jam that tickle! Crush strawberries thoroughly, one layer at a time pectin dissolves used promptly sentence of label... Box of Pomona ’ s in the Garden and more than twenty hardy folks came out to it... Lids and rings, and chocolate 's not necessary very quick and easy too make it perfect and all oxygen... Combining the strawberries and rhubarb work so well together jars are completely cool check lids to ensure they sealed. A large sauce pan combine strawberries, sugar and lemon juice evenly over bottom of honey! Regular chunks you would put into a … set pot over high meat until it comes to a rolling.... Bowl, combine sugar and pectin ; stir until pectin dissolves few weeks Pomona! Mix the calcium water tight set the Food in jars newsletter & get my Beginner 's canning Guide pectin. The middle of the pot from the heat s caused confusion knew I wanted a reduced sugar recipe then... Tastes scrumptious, but it 's so very quick and easy too of 3 to 4 pints.. The Strawberry-Rhubarb jam is a low sugar sweet and sour thank you for your... Litre ( 4 cups / 32 oz ) of mashed strawberries the refrigerator and consume within a seasons. Pectin or different amount of sugar, that Raspberry rhubarb jam, and, it 's so quick! Help with set them already picked ) it 's fun to go stirring continuously others!