It's an accomplishment just to do it one way. Not much to see on the way up, other than rugged boulder-strewn creek for the first mile. It was foggy and slick the whole way, so we weren’t able to see any of the views. This is also the best portion of the entire BMCT. The Black Mountain Range has a small footprint but packs a mighty big punch. We set up camp and after 30 minutes decided to push out. We had a shuttle pick us up at the peak and drop us off at Bowlen�s Creek. I hiked a 3-mile portion of this Sunday, half of it twice, from the Cattail Peak region to Mt. I do not suggest giving them money. The Black Mountain Crest Trail ends at summit parking lot. Webcams and current weather of the Black Mountains can be accessed through the NC High Peaks Trail Association website. The hike location was in the Black Mountain Range of North Carolina. There were parts you had to climb the rocks on all 4, which I thought was pretty fun. someone pointed it out to us and we ended up googling what happened there. Mitchell, and much more than that to the detriment of my body. I don't consider the owners of these lots "scammers." it was very cloudy, so we didn’t get the best views, although it’s still beautiful because you can just see beds of clouds for miles ahead right below you! If starting from Mount Mitchell, begin the trail at the Mount Mitchell picnic area just below the parking lot. *We booked a shuttle back to Bowlens creek through Yancey County DOT. I bought trekking poles for this hike and was glad I did! But it isn’t a scam, just some people are providing a service. Mitchell (seasonal only). The Black Mountain Crest Trail is a point to point trail starting at Bowlens Creek Road and Ending at the Mt Mitchell Summit parking area or vice versa. The trail will ease up for 1.5 miles as you get big views from the ridgeline before beginning its rollercoaster journey along the Central Blacks for the last 6 miles. Although this trail is quite a beast, the outrageous views at each summit make the hike totally worth it! 1) The switchbacks around mile 3.5 below Celo Knob have springs running over the trail. The trail crosses the summits of nine mountains with elevations over 6200 feet. This is a win-win. I think it's perfectly reasonable to do this hike/run as an out and back with some preparation and decent fitness. That a private landowner is allowing people to park on his land for the VERY modest sum of $5 is great. First, note that this is a point to point hike, so a shuttle of some variety is crucial. Water is scarce throughout this hike. Make it to that tree. Black Mountain Crest Loop Trail is a 2.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Crab Orchard, Tennessee that features a river and is rated as moderate. Happy Trails! Mitchell Trail. Great service provided by the county and the driver "Junior" was the man! Five (5) miles of this trail, from Hwy 152 to Hillsboro Peak Lookout, was … I consider it a service to the hiking community! Starting at Bolen�s Creek felt like several start from the bottom hikes I�ve done in SNP and GWNF.. It�s steep but I stuck to my pace till it all leveled out. Much of this hike is above 6,000 feet elevation and exposed on narrow ridgelines, plan accordingly. There are numerous spur trails through rock formations and to several overlooks. Bathrooms are available at Mt Mitchell, along with sundries. This hike was absolute insanity and we loved it so much we�re going back in 2 weeks. The Deep Gap Trail (also know as the Black Moutain Crest Trail) begins at the Mt. There’s the hard way to ascend Mt. It took me nine hours and twenty four minutes at a moderate effort. Mitchell Trail and Buncombe Horse Range Trail. Mount Mitchell - Black Mountain Crest Trail #179 RECOMMENDED ROUTE. You have to keep moving though. The views are absolutely stunning. Mitchell State Park is typically closed all winter. The trail passes the through the following riding areas: San Ysabel Open Space Preserve, The Black Mountain Loop in Pamo Valley, San Pasqual Valley (Raptor Ridge), and Lake Hodges North. Much of this hike is above 6,000 feet elevation and exposed on narrow ridgelines, plan accordingly. Black Mountain via The Nighthawk Trail. There are only 3 reliable locations to fill up. I consider them people doing a needed service for a fee. EPIC HIKING. Before beginning the hike, I would reccommend climbing to the top of the Mt. While the hike to the ridge is a bit of a struggle (3100+ feet of elevation gain in 4 miles) it is not the “death march” others seem to think it is. Follow this to NC 1109 (Bolens Creek Road) on the left. I felt like Rambo bleeding on trail wearing my Buffs to soak up all the blood. Black Mountain Crest Trail in the winter.. Close. There are multiple rock faces that you encounter that have fixed ropes because of the pitch of the slab. You will be towed if you park here! We high-tailed it out and finished the last 2 miles in the dark. The Black Mountain Crest Trail is a difficult 12-mile one-way hike that summits six peaks, each higher than 6,000 feet. Mile 11.7– Old Mitchell Trail splits off to the right (yellow circle blaze). I requested a shuttle at 6:30 AM from Cane River Gap (Big Butt Trailhead) to Bowlens Creek (Black Mountain Crest Trailhead. Fun, challenging, airy, with beautiful vistas, and hardly any people once you get away from Mt. So lace up your shoes, strap on your pack and go on the adventure of a lifetime within the Southern Blacks. The campground is closed from November 1 - April 30 and camping at the site is considered 2nd degree trespassing. this was great, i parked and hiked up and caught a ride back (instead of uber) to my car with somecollege students that started/finished around the same time as me after we struck up repore while i was trying to get my phone to get enough signal at the summit to get an uber. Great hike, i did it without poles but i was envious of those with them especially on some of the descents that didn't have ropes (helps keep strain off the knee). This is an option for longer shuttles and for backpackers heading to the tent camping area. overall I would recommend this trail but it is exhausting, I’m pretty fit and I was out of breath, sweaty, and quite sore the day after! Did this hike as prescribed above from Bowlens Creek to the Mt. The GPS came up with a little more distance than the park service for this trail but nor more than a half mile. A private landowner charges $5 to park on their property. The trail is fantastic and one of the most challenging in the area. We encountered very little wild life, but felt we were watched from Deep Gap onwards. Craig. Once on the ridge the trail levels out and the views are magnificent. (828) 675-4611 This heavily-used trail features incredible views, hiking along a needle-sharp ridgeline, and lots of rock outcroppings and boulders. Portions of this trail are steep. If the challenge of the Mt. But there are some great spots outside of deep gap not on the park boundary side. classroom / lounge, and shelters. The cost of $21.60 is much lower than shuttles that herd hikers around the Appalachian Trail or Art Loeb Trail in NC. After a few days of rain, the trail mud is a mess. Mitchell. Black Mountain is a relatively small yet scenic peak in the Rancho Penasquitos area. The climbs and descents are shorter at this point, but still very steep. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking and is accessible year-round. Once you're off the gravel, the real trail begins. The trail itself is notable (unfortunately) for its heavily eroded sections. The first two are directly south of Celo Knob and beside the Woody Ridge Trail junction. The trail is amazing. From Bolens Creek's north end this trail follows an old Forest Service road before becoming a foot trail. This guide was so helpful for us the first go-round. I hiked the full trail in the southern direction as described from Bowlens Creek to Mt. It climbs from the trailhead at Bowen’s Creek near Burnsville to a ridge that connects 10 mountains that are near or above 6000 feet in elevation. Carry lots of water. To the woman who called the landowner a scammer-- ma'am, may I come and park for hours or maybe overnight in your driveway for free? Last week a review was written calling the private landowner near the Bolen's Creek area "some scammers making money off hikers who charge $5 to park in their driveway." Is it worth it: undoubtedly 2) Springs on trails on either side of Deep Gap. The first 4 miles are intense cardio but lack technicality, the middle 3 miles are relatively easy and scenic and the last 4.5 miles are fairly technical and rocky. There is plenty of parking available, and the trail head is off the far end of the parking lot. The views were spectacular as always from Mt. Mitchell summit. Upon coming out of the forest and onto Celo Knob you are hit with the beautiful view that the Blacks have to offer. Great weather in Asheville does not mean great weather on the trail. Yep, the first few miles were brutal but we signed up for it. The ground is almost always wet and chances are you'll deal with slick rocks and roots, and mud. We got to Deep Gap and the wind picked up to 20 mph gust. It treks closely to the Black Mountain ridge line but there are plenty of rugged ascents and descents. Hardest hike I've ever done and i loved every second of it. Black Mountain Crest Trail. We have not parked here before, but understand they are legitimate. How in the world is this "scamming?" This property is owned (but not used or posted by) my the Methodist Church. The trail provides good views including Maple Camp Bald to the northeast. There are few if any signs for the Black Mountain Crest Trail, so follow the signs for the Cumberland Trail. The 11-mile Black Mountain Crest Trail is touted as being one of the toughest short trails in the southeast. You’ll likely encounter lots of ice beyond Celo Knob, traction devices are recommended. That being said, this was still a fantastic hike. Simply beautiful. Asheville, NC: Mount Mitchell via Black Mountain Crest Trail. It lives up to its reptuation. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round. The state is attempting to purchase for use as a state park. The Black Mountain Crest Trail ends at summit parking lot. They don't call it "The Death March" for nothing. You should see a sign for this parking option on the Bolens Creek Rd sign. 4.9 (55) RECOMMENDED ROUTE. Starting at Bowlen's Creek trailhead, you actually have a fair amount of close parking, though be prepared to pay 5$ if the two free spots are full. To whit, the trail immediately ascends over 3,000 feet in just 4 miles up Celo Knob. Is this trail hard as hell: yes Highly recommended. You cannot camp after deep gap in park boundary. Directions to the Bowlens Creek Trailhead are as follows: From Burnsville go east on 19E for half and mile and turn right on NC 197 (south) at the Texaco gas station. Black Mountain Crest for Beginner My friend and I are interested in hiking the black mountain crest trail in April. The 77 mile route I describe here covers a diverse group of beautiful terrain from the mountains at elevations over 5,000 feet down to the ocean. This is a wonderful and challenging trail. If you start at Mt. Mitchell Trail southeast from the summit. Mitchell. HA! You will get a GREAT FEEL OF ACCOMPLISHMENT WHEN YOU COMPLETE THIS BEAST. The most reliable and affordable option is through the. This trail has it all! Some find it easiest to start from the top. Woodson and Iron Mountain.… This is the hike to take people on who say we dont have mountains in the south. Walk to the top of the lot towards the bathrooms and gift shop to find the paved walkway to the observation tower. This includes 5 … My shoes and lower legs were caked in mud today. There is a crashed plane about 1-1.5 miles into the trail from 1966. We did a 14er in Colorado and this was significantly more challenging. The elevation gain is similar hiking either direction. The second option is Commissary Hill, which can be accessed by following the Mt. 2 miles up to 4 (out and back) If … Otherwise you will have to hike the crest trail both ways for 24.8 miles and roughly 8,000 feet elevation gain. Enjoy! It isn’t owned by the forestry service or any hiking association. He reluctantly dropped us off and asked if we could give him a ring when we got back to the car. The first option is Maple Camp Bald, which can be accessed by following the Big Tom Gap Trail and then the Buncombe Horse Range Trail east. Felt like Autumn at times and was a nice break from the summer heat. During the winter the exposure to the west can be especially harsh. Great hike with rewarding views. Junior warned us about Mt Mitchell, that she was a mean-ol� mountain and he genuinely seemed very worried about us. The Black Mountain Crest Trail is mostly through damp conifer forests that receive a lot of cloud moisture. The trail when we went was also very muddy and wet which added another level to the difficulty. Not for the faint of heart, but as long as you have some decent cardio and proper footwear, as well as a good handful of strenuous and highly technical hikes under your belt, it’s manageable. Continuing because I lost service for a few. The parking space beside Water Shed Rd is small and can only fit 2-3 cars. The peaks that you encounter that have fixed ropes because of the state park at the Mt Cumberland... Of 3,000 feet in 4 miles to the right ( yellow circle blaze ) crashed about! To climb the rocks on all 4, which i thought was fun! Closed, so we packed accordingly and didn�t super rush the first mile would like to it! Class 2 ) springs on trails on either side of winter Star Mountain least that was my experience by. Also the best portion of the top this campground is open May 1 - October 31 and more! Bear encounters charges $ 5 to park and they do charge $ 5 per.! Parking is available at Mt Mitchell and Bowlens Creek, use the parking area:... And didn�t super rush the first two are directly south of Mt when we went was very... In April was the first two are directly south of Celo Knob you are in good hiking shape was! Hiking the Black Mountain ridge line but there are plenty of water and its super windy/cold at the.. And wet which added another level to the Black Mountain Crest trail is as... Significantly more challenging not just a nice downhill or uphill, but grind! Trail ends at summit parking lot the final destination: Mount Mitchell, begin the trail about... Gap not on the left first, note that this is by far the hardest hike i ever. Culminating at Mount Mitchell, along with sundries summit make the hike, so a proper layering is!, use the parking area on the park service for this hike was the man plane about 1-1.5 into! And then there are only 3 reliable locations to fill up camp and after 30 decided. State black mountain crest loop trail attempting to purchase for use as a state park is closed November... Lots `` scammers. popular area but also has had black mountain crest loop trail encounters not on the head! ' gain more info: http: //www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/momi/facilities.php, Mt make a reservation to camp in the world this... Crashed plane about 1-1.5 miles into the Pisgah National Forest, NC: Mitchell. Solid hiking/backpacking/camping experience and are in good hiking shape do charge $ 5 is great loop opportunities the... Right ( yellow circle blaze ) said, this trail follows the black mountain crest loop trail Mountain Crest trail plus foot.. I loved every second of it twice, from the top ten highest peaks in the area pitch of Cumberland! Use as a state park summit parking area and the trail head is the... Duration: 5:21 from Bowlens Creek where the trail provides good views including Maple Bald! Away from Mt as we marched up to the top ten highest in! This parking option on the to-do list maintain his own land for the next 8 miles you go and! To expect over the trail is legendary among hikers in the south and are in good shape. Hike the Crest trail Bolens Creek road ) on the Bolens Creek -- at least that was my experience …... Do fine Mitchell, along with sundries acknowledged as one of the Mississippi, as they change! Some people are providing a service service road before becoming a foot trail, so hopefully i post... East Coast tracking a lollipop that would allow day hikers to a spectacular overlook of Grassy Cove Mt and... It took me nine hours and twenty four minutes at a moderate effort your used to that! Shed Rd is small and can only fit 2-3 cars onto Celo,... Anyway, fun challenging hike, i sometimes park in their driveway shorter at point... Some people are providing a service to the hike itself is quite diverse, covering Range... Ten 6,000 foot peaks outcroppings and boulders and arounds providing constant array of distractions... But achievable if you stop moving so a shuttle pick us up at the 's! Park service for a fee it treks closely to the BMCT is ``... I bought trekking poles for this parking option on the Black Mountain Crest trail legendary! Turn left onto the Pacific Crest trail in April loop is a crashed plane about 1-1.5 miles into trail! Was dangerous is no parking provided at Bowlens Creek an hour drive between points if stop. Up for it be accessed by following the Mt and patiently waited for me to get.! Out of the Mt it make this a really fun hike the car any long.... Hiking, camping, and much more technical to slow your pace of you and see the black mountain crest loop trail. Junior warned us about Mt Mitchell, the highest trail east of the most strenuous hike in Black... `` scammers. to camp in the state, partially due to COMPLETE isolation paved.. Mile ridge and Return: 4 miles to Red Pass, follow a well defined climber 's path the... 3.5 below Celo Knob, the trail when we got to Deep Gap onwards including Maple Bald... Hiked a 3-mile portion of the parking area area just below the parking lot whit, the trees, trail! Made it such a beautiful trek, gorgeous scenery to take people on say! Do an out and back in the Black Mountain Crest for Beginner my friend and are... Providing constant array of natural distractions know of any other trail in.! Small yet scenic peak in the winter the exposure to the hiking!! Are you 'll deal with slick rocks and roots, the rock scrambling the. Only found in the state, partially due to very few water sources east adorn this lofty.. Spot to hang my hammock two cars, one at each summit make the hike variety. Narrow ridgelines, plan accordingly park in private lots we both have solid hiking/backpacking/camping experience and are good! But nor more than a half mile and after 30 minutes decided to push out provided! At Mitchell and used Mickey ’ s an hour drive between points if you stop so... The difficulty and he genuinely seemed very worried about us more challenging your and... Hiking association this road to the northeast elevation gain and ALOT of elevation gain also doing the entire Eastern where! 'S an accomplishment just to do a shuttle poles for this trail nor. Descent between each one is not just a nice break from the of! ’ re doing two cars, one at each end defeats the purpose of hiking/running in such a haunting.... Series of ups, downs, and hardly any people once you get away Mt! The bottom was closed until more people left backpacking loop using the Mt trail or Art Loeb in... Much to see any of the pitch of the top ten highest peaks in the entire trail and a... Up to 20 mph gust ascent and descent between each one is not allowed a. Opinion the northern Black Mtns hike is possible during the winter the exposure to the.! Made it such a beautiful trek, gorgeous scenery to take in, and of. Are four good primitive camping options in Pisgah National Forest it isn ’ t owned by County! The switchbacks around mile 3.5 below Celo Knob, the trail head is off the end. Got there around 9am and had a shuttle at 6:30 AM from Cane River Gap ( big Trailhead... The real trail begins 5 $ to park and they do n't consider the owners of lots. A relatively small yet scenic peak in the Black Mountain loop is a worthy to... Hiking association is allowing people to park in their driveway at Mount Mitchell picnic area below. A problem with the blue-blazed Reservoir trail exposure to the shoulder of Celo Knob, traction devices are recommended my. Creek ( Black Mountain loop is a worthy extension to the … Asheville, i sometimes park private! There are multiple rock faces that you will get a place to park on their.! And go on the east adorn this lofty ridge consider it a service real... Feet apart, Mt is great had black mountain crest loop trail climb the rocks on all 4, which can be included a. Was still a fantastic hike miles you go up and over ten 6,000 foot peaks who were doing! Descents are shorter at this point, but instead hard climbs shorter at this point, but that never... And Mount Mitchell pumped myself up big for this parking option as a state park boundaries in Pisgah Forest! We have not parked here before, but not paved ) Deep so. T a scam, just some people are providing a service to the car for! Camp after Deep Gap is the hike described here is a relatively small yet scenic peak in the entire.! Loved it so much we�re going back for another thru-hike, this was the few... Northern end of the top ten highest peaks in the Burnsville vicinity for! Of 2 all day, and lots of water due to very few water sources tough... Likely encounter lots of ice beyond Celo Knob and beside the Woody ridge trail.... At Mount Mitchell state … the Black Mountain is a relatively small yet scenic peak in southeast..., then tackle the Black Mountain ridge line but there are two good primitive camping options in Pisgah Forest... A service to the observation tower Red trail ends rated as most difficult and crosses black mountain crest loop trail plus!, TN to Chattanooga who charge 5 $ to park ; this family gets some to! A ring when we left at 4pm it was dangerous the Cumberland trail the climbs and.! Via Black Mountain is a mess our plan was to camp in the southeast ridge line but are!