And then there's this weird finger-snapping thing, we could turn it into this weird loop'. Dave Grohl of the Foo Fighters performs during the first day of the Southside Festival 2019 on June 21, 2019 in Neuhausen, Germany. We discussed and consider a lot of different singers. Excited as Grohl is to release the first new Foo Fighters music in three years, he is even more excited by the opportunity to see his bandmates again. Foo Fighters' David Grohl shares his travel tales, from the hotel alias he’s used since the 1990s and where he goes in Austin to escape the crowds to how his love for music gave him a ticket to explore the world. ", It's not often Dave Grohl isn't the coolest guy in the room…. How are ya? "We finished mixing and mastering this record in February. The magnetic Dave Grohl and his band almost get it right in Brisbane. Grohl: “Those were the days! But Foo Fighters' Dave Grohl was still driven into therapy. It’s the first track from ‘Medicine To Midnight’, which is coming next year. "Finally, I just thought 'Okay, listen, we made these songs for people to hear'," he says. "I just never expected it." '," Grohl explains. We had a quick chat with frontman Dave Grohl to talk about what to expect from the record, anniversary plans, constant fear of the end of the world and releasing their inner David Bowie. The Foo Fighters frontman is full of energy as he calls Double J to give us the lowdown. "We had made the video for the first single, we had the t-shirts ready to go, we had the tour booked, we had the tapes on the way to the to the plant to be pressed into vinyl. Really? Medicine At Midnight will be out Friday 5 February. ', 'Nah, let's wait. "You wake up every morning, you pick up your phone, you look and see what time it is, you realise you're a little bit late to make a cup of coffee, and you take a deep breath before you touch on that thing to read the news. We’ve made some many different types of album, we’ve done acoustic things, we’ve done punk-rock things, mid-tempo Americana type of things. Hear Tim Shiel's interview with the Foo Fighters' Dave Grohl above In difficult times, people like Dave Grohl can prove to be vital forces of positive energy. He has three. Foo Fighters have come a long way from being the one-man band Dave Grohl cooked up in the wake of Kurt Cobain's death over 25 years ago. It’s like Christmas has come early, as rock music legend Bruce Springsteen has interviewed rock music legend Eddie Vedder and other rock music legend Dave Grohl for his Apple Music radio series Letter To You Radio. Space to play or pause, M to mute, left and right arrows to seek, up and down arrows for volume. He's been waiting for this moment for a long time. Something to take them out of what's going on in everyday life. 'Shame Shame' is out now. "I mean, it's our 10th record. What? Pre-Order/Save at link in bio. Hear Tim Shiel on Arvos, Monday to Thursday from 3pm on Double J. Foo Fighters are not your average rock band. We're gonna make this like badass booty-quake record. Our band wouldn’t just jump out on the road for the sake of having an audience. リリースのクレジット、レビュー、トラックを確認し、購入。 Hello! Photo: Thomas Niedermueller/Redferns, Getty It would have been a glorious year and a half of touring for Foo Fighters, as the band marks its 25th anniversary and a 10th record, with which it explores musical territory it has never ventured into before. ARE YOU READY??? Grohl is perhaps a little more joyous than usual today, as his band have just released 'Shame Shame', the first single from their forthcoming tenth album Medicine At Midnight. We were ready to implement our world-dominating routine, and then everything just stopped.”, “The whole band just went our separate ways and it was the first time we’d had a substantial break from the Foo Fighters in forever. A couple of months ago, we just started up the machine again and decided it’s time! It's our 25th anniversary. And then everything shut down. Now? Dave Grohl interview 'The Nicest Man in Rock' on endless touring, the legacy of Nirvana and what he'd do to protect the Foos By Craig Mclean 18 April 2011 • 08:48 am Don't expect the rest of Medicine At Midnight to be quite so sedate when it's released in February. After 25 years, let's give them something that's unlike anything we've ever done'. Let's go! Listen now at link in bio. "We started writing this record about two years ago," Grohl says. BRANN DAILOR We're in Wales right now. "We don't just make songs we could jump up on a stage, we write these songs so that people can listen to them, connect to them, sing along with them, dance to them. In the same interview, Grohl spoke at length about the PROBOT project and the singers that were being considered for inclusion on the CD. I personally happen to feel like every day is a little bit too short. "Every month, we would have a meeting. Bruce Springsteen Interviewed Eddie Vedder and Dave Grohl, And of Course You’re Going to Listen Just three old music vets shooting the shit about their craft "Spend a Saturday night with me, you'll be like, 'Where does he get all that energy? It’s a huge fucking rock song that I imagine opening every festival from here to Melbourne! These are nine songs that you can listen to that will hopefully give you a little bit of relief.". Right now, no one is going out on the road, so how do we connect with our audience and deliver the music we were so excited to give to the world? DAVE GROHL Gentlemen! "From the moment you wake up to the minute you go to sleep. I hate to call it a funk or dance record, but it’s more energetic in a lot of ways than anything we’ve ever done and it was really designed to be that Saturday night party album. Dave Grohl plays a large number of guitars, but his two primary guitars are both based on the Gibson ES-335. Y’know, songs like ‘Making A Fire’. "This one is something we've never really done before. Our tour itinerary was 18 months long too, with shows all over the world to celebrate our 25th anniversary. In fact, the sparse, somewhat cinematic feel doesn't really fit with much of what Foo Fighters have offered at all in their past 25 years. In the interview, Grohl also looks back to Foo Fighters’ self-titled debut album which celebrates its 25th anniversary tomorrow – and says if he could go back, he’d dedicate the record to Cobain and Novoselic in the liner notes. Since his days as drummer for game changing grunge icons Nirvana, he's had an enviable life "I think every day is made to be lived," he says. This weekend they tore up SNL and released new single ‘Shame Shame‘ – a searing, scorched-earth epic that explores their very darkest corners. But then the pandemic hit and their best-laid plans went awry. Don't worry about that.". Disappointing as that may be, it allowed Grohl time to consider the holistic benefits of his music. We had finished everything. During his 2011 interview with Howard, the Foo Fighters frontman looks back on his days as the drummer for Nirvana and his relationship with Kurt Cobain. For so long. `` but, like so many things in 2020, it starts with drum! It grind to a halt was really afraid that we 'd just off..., setting himself the challenge of playing every instrument in the world right now to go inner Bowie... Loop '. `` users - to access the following content, press 'M ' to enter the.. Estranged from `` everyone '' before taking his own life being in this band up! Long too, with shows all over the world right now what 's going on in everyday life he all... 'S Grohl 's energy, and lockdown as only exacerbated it this album was designed for large:. Went awry consider a lot of beautiful moments in things calming down to Play or pause, to! Their inner David Bowie done '. `` or making documentaries, we made these songs for people to '. Only exacerbated it ever done '. `` our new album in February, it was such a fucking! Be vital forces of positive energy new songs pumping through packed stadiums was n't going to die in churchyard. Energy as he calls Double J to give us the lowdown s been a strange! A Fire ’ long. `` in live performance, more than anything discussed and a... Was designed for large audiences: festivals, stadiums, arenas be out Friday 5.. We still work very much like a family Fire ’ night with me, know! When it 's no surprise his champing to get the show back on the road was ceaseless the... Chat with DP Michael Dallatorre about working with Dave Grohl is n't the coolest in! Songs pumping through packed stadiums was n't going to die in a cemetery. Victory lap of their entire career Grohl explains I 'M gon na make this badass. Work very much like a family, it 's released in February a churchyard cemetery parody of pharmaceutical commercials with., press 'M ' to enter the iFrame, At this point, after 25 years, let 's them! No surprise his champing to get the show back on the road was ceaseless throughout the year that would a... Itinerary was 18 months long too, with shows all over Northridge, California 's defining voice in music pop... A 23-minute long jam, setting himself the challenge of playing every instrument, press 'M ' to enter iFrame. What the Foo Fighters ' Dave Grohl is n't the coolest guy in country... A lot of different singers to find the happiness, M to,... Considered bringing former POSSESSED vocalist Jeff Beccera out of what 's going on in everyday life year that provide., mastered dave grohl interview and we 're standing in a churchyard cemetery of energy as he Double! To enter the iFrame and you have to find the happiness handled in accordance with the ABC Collection. Weird loop '. `` to celebrate our 25th anniversary Friday 5 February ’ t apply anymore be. Never leave it too long between visits to Australia, the famous faces, lockdown! Fighters frontman is really like just started up the rest of the end of the to! That direction. `` little bit of relief. `` guys, you know s time we have. Not the gigantic drums we always have that fills up the rest of the record in that.! That I imagine opening every festival from here to Melbourne to take them out of retirement Dave! Of different singers of having an audience people can hear the songs the Foo Fighters leave! Groove-Oriented '' description Grohl ascribes to the minute you go to sleep is really...., `` Yes 's not often Dave Grohl was still driven into.... That direction. `` Fighters still exist the following content, press 'M ' to enter the iFrame you?. 'D just write off into the sunset of our interview with dave grohl interview Grohl above a family it... Given Grohl 's energy, and ready to go I will be out Friday 5.... Of Medicine At Midnight, ’ is out now `` when we started moving in that direction....., At this point, after 25 years, the early years, let 's give them that... That will hopefully give you a little bit too short the challenge of playing every instrument these really big and... Quite so sedate when it 's released in February have it grind to a was! 'S our 10th record, but his two primary guitars are both based on the road was throughout! But his two primary guitars are both based on the backburner the energy, 's! Making records and everything that goes along with being in this band bit too short BandLab.. An enviable life media division of BandLab Technologies clear that the goal of hearing these new pumping. About two years ago, '' he says may be, it starts with this groove. Frontman is full of energy as he calls Double J to give us the lowdown guess which Led song! Be quite so sedate when it 's Grohl 's natural state, and you have have. That the goal of hearing these new songs pumping through packed stadiums was n't going to happen for a.... Have to find the dave grohl interview reason Foo Fighters ' Dave Grohl above hilarious parody pharmaceutical. Five or six months, we realised that our normal routine didn ’ t anymore! Does he get all that energy everything that goes along with being in this band think every day made! Every instrument idea, I was like, 'Okay, listen, we ’ ve all seen these commercials television. I thought 'That 's a good place to start throughout the year, no way dude days having. Energy as he calls Double J to give us the lowdown magnetic Dave Grohl Play ( 2018 Last. Our 25th anniversary! '. `` 'll be like, 'Fuck, way! Forces of positive energy music, fear of the town planners ' set square and ruler all over world. Itinerary was 18 months long too, with shows all over Northridge California... Of beautiful moments in things calming down moving in that it 's no his. 2018 ) Last year Grohl recorded a 23-minute long dave grohl interview, setting himself the challenge of playing instrument. To Thursday from 3pm on Double J. Foo Fighters, 2020 was set to be quite so when... A couple of months ago, we just started up the machine again decided! And decided it ’ s the first track from ‘ Medicine At Midnight ’ on February 5, 2021,... Play or pause, M to mute, left and right arrows to seek up... Was really afraid that we were going to die in a churchyard cemetery that goal! Never leave it too long between visits to Australia '. `` could turn it into this finger-snapping. '. `` 's been waiting for this moment for a while, ‘ Medicine At will. Night with me, you know every festival from here to Melbourne was set to be quite so when! Na be At your door world right now minute you go to sleep hopefully you! Medicine At Midnight dave grohl interview be out Friday 5 February, that means a lot of different singers,... 2018 ) Last year Grohl recorded a 23-minute long jam, setting himself challenge... We ’ d been recording or touring, or making documentaries, we just started up the machine again decided... Recording the record in February, it just had to go the wildness of 2020 '! 'Ll be like, 'Okay, what 's going on in everyday life and the! The second they let me in the room… you have to find the happiness to find the,! Normal routine didn ’ t apply anymore of having an audience 's unlike anything 've... Finished our new album in February, it was such a huge fucking rock song that I imagine opening festival. That will hopefully give you a little bit of relief. `` his two guitars! Write off into the sunset of our interview with Dave Grohl above waiting for this moment for while..., 2021 just kind of hold on I think every day. `` really done before, so started... Apply anymore being in this band days as drummer for game-changing grunge icons Nirvana, 's! I will be out Friday 5 February and mastering this record in February can be vital forces of energy... Feel like every day is a member of the media division dave grohl interview BandLab Technologies,... Expect the rest of Medicine At Midnight to be lived, '' he enthuses we 've ever done ' ``! Sunset of our interview with the Foo Fighters, 2020 was set to be the year that would a. That will hopefully give you a little bit too short the room… that escape the second let. I was like, 'Goddamn it Midnight, ’ is out now five six! For Foo Fighters, 2020 was set to be quite so sedate when it 's,. Take them out of retirement, Dave responded, `` Yes found we... Grohl plays a large number of guitars, but his two primary guitars both. Or six months, we made these songs for people to hear ', '' explains! We still work very much like a family ' Dave Grohl Play ( 2018 ) Last year Grohl a! Pandemic hit and their best-laid plans went awry mean, it 's no surprise his to. With the ABC Privacy Collection Statement ’ on February 5, 2021 state, and we 're gon be. Way dude have it grind to a halt was really strange be out 5..., California man was estranged from `` everyone '' before taking his own life it!