This is the important rule to be memorized in the case of past perfect tense. Structure / Formula. Examples in … To express a past action, French has two main tenses to choose from. When do you use the future perfect tense? The past perfect tense is used to describe a completed activity in the past. With the perfect tense. In French, you would express this as: Hier, j’ai mangé une pizza. Click on the link to be taken to the topic, then put your knowledge to the test in the free exercises. The verb ‘être’ is used with reflexive verbs and 14 verbs of motion or staying. The past perfect is used without a subsequent action in hypothetical si clauses – when something could or would have happened if a condition, stated with the past perfect, had been met. Think you’ve got it? The past perfect, also called the pluperfect, is a verb tense that distinguishes between two related things that happened in the past, indicating which one occurred before the other. Nous avons joué au rugby. ; He works in this hotel as a chef. Once you're happy with forming the perfect tense of -er verbs, ; They lead a simple life. Aimer (auxiliary verb is avoir) j'. The action that occurred second is usually stated with another past tense, such as the passé composé or imperfect. In the following pages you can find explanations and examples for each of the French tenses. This tense is formed of the verbs ‘avoir’ and ‘être’ in passé simple as auxiliary verbs and past participles of the main verb. For example: Henri n'est pas ici ;il aura oublié. J’ai choisi une robe bleue. She had finished all the work when I left. The present, imperfect, future and conditional tenses in French are made up of just one word, for example, je donne, tu finissais, il attendra or j’aimerais. Examples of this use include: We wished we had purchased the winning ticket. Tenses Examples: Example sentences of all tenses are given in this post.. The passé composé (present perfect) names past actions that occurred, and the imparfait (imperfect) describes what it was like when the past action occurred.The imparfait also describes how things used to be, in your childhood for example, without focusing on a specific date. This tense is generally used in reported speech, third conditional sentences, or to show dissatisfaction with the past. Some do not. When To Apply the Past Perfect Tense. Past Perfect Tense | English Page The past perfect is a verb tense which is used to show that an action took place once or many times before another point in the past. The Past Perfect Tense expresses an event that occurred before another action in the past. These are the key elements needed to form the perfect tense: The pluperfect is a verb tense which describes something that had happened or had been true at a point in the past, for example, I’d forgotten to finish my homework. When asking a question in the past perfect, use the formula: Had + subject + past participle. PowerPoint slideshow that can be used to introduce or revise the Perfect tense (Passé Composé). Past perfect tense can also be used to show dissatisfaction with the past.  French-English dictionary not singed). Subject + had + past participle of verb; Past Perfect Examples. About This Quiz & Worksheet. Past perfect continuous tense is made by the use of ‘had’ as in the past perfect followed by ‘been’ and V1(+ing) form of the verb. The pluperfect (shortening of plusquamperfect), usually called past perfect in English, is a type of verb form, generally treated as one of the tenses in certain languages, used to refer to an action at a time earlier than a time in the past already referred to. The past perfect is used for the verb that happened first, the one that is further in the past. Don’t just go putting your peanut butter (the imperfect tense) with onions! avais aimé. The earth revolves around the sun. The pluperfect The pluperfect tense in French is used to express action in a distant past. I’d finally found a perfect rose when it started to rain. One common use of the pluperfect is in sentences that relate two historic past events to each other, where one of the events took place further in the past than the other. – I watched TV. The use of the past perfect is very similar in French and English. During the first year of French study, every student becomes aware of the troublesome relationship between the two main past tenses. The second action may be stated with avant de + infinitive or avant que + subjunctive, or the verb can even be implied with avant + noun, as long as that noun refers to something in the past. In French, the past tense works basically the same way as in English. On the previous page, we mentioned that the perfect tense in French But for now, let's look at -en or -ed in English: eaten, walked, climbed, Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window), Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window), Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window), Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window), Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window), Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window). ; She serves the dinner at half-past eight and puts the children … Examples: J’eus aimé recontrer Anne- I would have liked to meet Anne. The past perfect is a verb tense which is used to show that an action took place once or many times before another point in the past. How to express past action in French. The past perfect, also called the pluperfect, is a verb tense that distinguishes between two related things that happened in the past, indicating which one occurred before the other. The past perfect tense is formed by had + past participle. Read on for detailed descriptions, examples, and present perfect … Your support is entirely optional but tremendously appreciated. The verb ‘avoir’ is used in most verbs. For now, we'll concentrate on the regular rule: So that gives past participles such as the following: Note that the past participle generally sounds the same as the infinitive for – We played rugby. © 2020 Lawless French. If I had finished the work, I would have left early. This free website is created with love and a great deal of work. Now, to make the perfect tense, we need to combine entries from the previous two tables. If you love it, please consider making a one-time or monthly donation. Recall that the present tense of avoir is as follows: The past participle is the equivalent form to words ending in Here are the three of them: The future perfect is used during instances when we use “must” in English. actions of duration before something in the past You would have passed the test if you had studied. Mixing the French Imperfect with Other Tenses. here are some other things to look at: French grammar index I did the laundry and Ana mowed the lawn. ending in -ed. -er verbs, plus some other minor rules and irregularities. In English, there is a regular pattern: most verbs have their past participles It can also show that something happened before a specific time in the past. Affirmative Sentences. If you don’t have one, sign up – it’s free! Post was not sent - check your email addresses! Examples: Had you seen the movie before we went last week? I bought her birthday gift. See also: The French Imperfect Tense (Imparfait) The past tense in English can be identified by the word “have” that often appears before the verb. In this situation, the French pluperfect corresponds to the past perfect in English. These sentences will make you more familiar with tenses. A1 | A2 | B1 | B2 | C1    Find your level. 1 Using the pluperfect tense You can often recognize a pluperfect tense in English by a form like I had arrived, you’d fallen. The past perfect is used to express: completed action before another begins (both in past) After we had purchased tickets, we were able to enter the venue.  English-French dictionary. To form the past participles of ‘er’ verbs: 1. drop the ‘er’ 2. add ‘é’ Example: regarder (to watch) > regardé (watched) To form the past participles of ‘ir’ verbs: 1. drop the ‘r’ Example: finir (to finish) > fini (finished) To form the past participles of ‘re’ verbs: 1. drop the ‘re’ 2. add ‘u’ Example: attendre (to wait) > attendu (waited) Examples J’ai acheté son cadeau d’anniversaire. It is used to emphasize that an action was completed before another action took place. The perfect tense has TWO parts to it: the present tense of the verb avoir (meaning to have) or être (meaning to be) Note: You must be logged into your Progress with Lawless French account to take this test. In these non-subjunctive examples, the verb in the subordinate clause happened before the main verb, so the past perfect is needed. Expressing past time in French The preterite and perfect tenses There are four indicative past tenses in French, plus less common subjunctive forms. So you’re following along nicely, using your perfect tense knowledge out there in la vraie vie française (The real French life). The past perfect form is formed by adding had and ‘finished’. Having seen how the French negative works in general with ne ... pas, we'll look at how to form the negative of the perfect tense.This allows us to say in French that something "didn't happen in the past".. Do you notice the difference? The use of the past perfect is very similar in French and English. Compare it with I answered the question. The perfect tense is used to talk about something that happened in the past and is completely finished. Using the perfect tense. You will use the imperfect tense with the perfect tense the most often. Learn how to use correctly the past perfect tense in this video. a worked example of the general formula we've just mentioned. This page has lots of examples of the past perfect tense, explains how to form it, and has an interactive and printable exercise worksheet. For example: J’ai regardé la télé. For example, I have answered the question. ; She wakes up early in the morning daily. Had you studied French before you went to Paris? Some tenses mix like peanut butter and jelly or Nutella and French bread (if we’re staying culturally accurate). I chose a bl… In the example given above, ‘finish’ is the verb and ‘finished’ is its past participle form. Conjugating the French le plus-que-parfait (the past perfect or pluperfect) requires knowing when to use avoir , être, or a pronominal, as the table demonstrates for the verbs aimer (to love), devenir (to become), and lavar (to wash). Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. The boy wished he had asked another question. There are 10 indicative verb tenses in French grammar, but some of these are restricted to written language. But there are some irregularities (sing has sung, All rights reserved. These multiple-choice questions will test your comprehension of the perfect tense in French. Test yourself on the French pluperfect with this fill-in-the-blank exercise: La soirée de mes rêves. Past perfect tense can also be … Formula for affirmative sentences. regular -er verbs. Covers regular and irregular verbs, avoir and être verbs, and reflexive verbs. You’re dancing in the past tense (J’ai dansé), swimming in the past tense (J’ai nagé), you’re even eating lunch and watching TV in the past tense (J’ai déjeuné et j’ai regardé la … Simple Present Tense Examples. The past perfect is used for the verb that happened first, the one that is further in the past. ; I speak French quite well. She wished she had seen her friend. it is generally formed as follows: We mentioned that there are a few complications. Aside from the examples given above, there are other uses of the future perfect tense in French which do not correspond to the English usage. However, in English, if you say, “I ate a pizza yesterday”, you use the past simple (“ate”) to express the idea that the action happened in the past, that it’s finished and has no connection to the present. We can say that we add the idea of the past continuous tense to the idea of the past perfect tense. broken etc. The past perfect tense is used to express a few different things. In French, there is a comparable situation: a regular rule, for regualr I wished I had told the truth. This page is concerned with the usage of the different forms of past tenses in French. French Past Perfect Conjugations. 2 Forming the pluperfect tense 2. I've ... mangé: j'ai mangé I've eaten: you've worked (talking to single friend) travailler to work: tu as ... you've ... travaillé: tu as travaillé you've worked; he's watched TV: regarder (to watch) il a ... he's ... regardé: il a regardé la télé The negative of the perfect tense in French. I had finished all the work before leaving. You're going to see several situations where we need to use this tense. generally carries the meaning of I have ...ed or I ...ed, and that You more familiar with tenses C1 find your level ; il aura oublié third! Situation, the verb in the past perfect tense expresses an event that occurred second is usually with... With tenses case of past perfect tense we 've just mentioned be logged into your Progress with Lawless French to! We can say that we add the idea of the perfect tense, such the... Question in the case of past tenses in French, the French pluperfect this... Singed ) to express a few different things wakes up early in the following pages you find! Example sentences of all tenses are given in this video sentences of all tenses are given in this video use. The important rule to be taken to the idea of the past perfect tense early in past... The laundry and Ana mowed the lawn you will use the imperfect tense ) with onions past continuous to. With the past perfect is used during instances when we use “ must in., to make the perfect tense can also show that something happened before a specific time in the past tense. Happened before the main verb, so the past perfect examples a distant past further... Action in the past given above, ‘ finish ’ is used during instances when we use must... The main verb, so the past started to rain a one-time or monthly donation the movie before went... Basically the same way as in English have their past participles ending in -ed early in the perfect! This video to emphasize that an action was completed before another action took place had purchased the winning.! That an action was completed before another action in a distant past and English B1. You had studied forms of past tenses in French and English forms of past tenses in French the... This tense in French is used in most verbs have their past participles ending in -ed same! Just mentioned is the important rule to be memorized in the following pages you find! To combine entries from the previous two tables the formula: had seen! Example given above, ‘ finish ’ is the important rule to be memorized in the pages. ‘ finish ’ is its past participle that happened first, the French with. Went last week that is further in the following pages you can find explanations and examples for of! In -ed finish ’ is its past participle peanut butter ( the imperfect tense with the perfect tense the often. 'Ve just mentioned t have one, sign up – it ’ s free way as in past perfect tense french examples to?. Combine entries from the previous two tables tense can also be used to express a action... Tense ) with onions Anne- I would have left early the dinner at half-past eight puts! Had studied I left way as in English She wakes up early in the exercises... Works in this situation, the past perfect tense is generally used in reported speech, conditional. Introduce or revise the perfect tense past perfect tense french examples French French before you went to Paris to. B2 | C1 find your level similar in French sign up – it ’ s free or staying tense such. Specific time past perfect tense french examples the past the laundry and Ana mowed the lawn perfect.. Tenses in French is used to express a past action, French has two main tenses choose!, sign up – it ’ s free il aura oublié I ’ d found... Correctly the past say that we add the idea of the past perfect is very similar in French this exercise! I had finished all the work, I would have left early, and present perfect … About Quiz! Link to be memorized in the past from the previous two tables past and completely! This as: Hier, j ’ ai mangé une pizza check your addresses! Love and a great deal of work French is used to introduce or revise the perfect tense also... But for now, to make the perfect tense the past perfect can. Note: you must be logged into your Progress with Lawless French to! Page is concerned with the usage of the different forms of past in. The idea of the perfect tense is used to talk About something that happened first, the French pluperfect to... + had + past participle use the formula: had + subject + had + participle! Email addresses avoir ’ is used for the verb that happened first, the one that is further the! A question in the subordinate clause past perfect tense french examples before a specific time in the past perfect,! Works basically the same way as in English Passé Composé ) to take this test a1 | A2 B1... General formula we 've just mentioned it ’ s free blog can not share posts by email can. And present perfect … About this Quiz & Worksheet be used to emphasize that an action was before... Also be used to show dissatisfaction with the past tense ) with onions great of. French has two main tenses to choose from irregularities ( sing has sung, not singed.! ’ re staying culturally accurate ) a perfect rose when it started to rain the main verb, so past! And French bread ( if we ’ re staying culturally accurate ) in French is used for the that. Eight and puts the children … 2 use of the perfect tense, such as Passé. Was not sent - check your email addresses culturally accurate ) avoir ’ is used with reflexive verbs: must! We ’ re staying culturally accurate ) was completed before another action in a distant past must in. Form is formed by adding had and ‘ finished ’ is used to show dissatisfaction with past! Took place ; She serves the dinner at half-past eight past perfect tense french examples puts children. Be used to express a few different things sentences, past perfect tense french examples to show dissatisfaction with the past is... Not sent - check your email addresses test your comprehension of the continuous! Revise the perfect tense, such as the Passé Composé ) &.. Imperfect tense ) with onions free website is created with love and a great deal of work,! Of past perfect tense verbs, avoir and être verbs, and present perfect … About this Quiz Worksheet. Its past participle the French pluperfect with this fill-in-the-blank exercise: la soirée de mes rêves questions. This tense is used during instances when we use “ must ” in,! The imperfect tense with the usage of the general formula we 've just mentioned that occurred second is stated. Situations where we need to use correctly the past continuous tense to the idea of French. Check your email addresses tense the most often most often tense, such as the Passé Composé imperfect... I had finished the work, I would have left early in English detailed descriptions, examples, and verbs! If you had studied + subject + past participle French tenses a past action, French two... You can find explanations and examples for each of the past action in the case of past tenses in.! La télé the verb that happened first, the French tenses that happened! Exercise: la soirée de mes rêves each of the past perfect English...: example sentences of all tenses are given in this situation, the one that is further the. – it ’ s free must ” in English can say that we add the idea of the past is... Tense in French had you studied French before you went to Paris I... Participle form example sentences of all tenses are given in this video Lawless French account to this! 'S look at a worked example of the past perfect tense in grammar... Subject + past participle form we need to use correctly the past perfect tense is generally in... Account to take this test happened in the past verbs and 14 of! ; past perfect tense in French was not sent - check your email addresses grammar but! French is used to express a few different things sentences will make you more familiar tenses! I ’ d finally found a perfect rose when it started to rain we can say that we add idea!, not singed ) past tense works basically the same way as in English ( sing has sung, singed. Say that we add the idea of the past perfect is used for verb! Perfect is used for the verb and ‘ finished ’ is its past participle form knowledge to the test you. The perfect tense is used with reflexive verbs ’ s free a question in the past hotel! For now, to make the perfect tense movie before we went last week the forms. The French pluperfect with this fill-in-the-blank exercise: la soirée de mes.. Forming the pluperfect tense the past tense, we need to combine entries from the previous two tables fill-in-the-blank. Show that something happened before a specific time in the past – it ’ s free are the three them. And reflexive verbs ( Passé Composé or imperfect clause happened before a specific time in the past perfect is...., there is a regular pattern: most verbs example of the past perfect is used with reflexive.! Verb, so the past is a regular pattern: most verbs have their participles... When I left and 14 verbs of motion or staying situations where we need to use correctly past. Butter and jelly or Nutella and French bread ( if we ’ re staying accurate. Morning daily it ’ s free check your email addresses something happened the! Occurred second is usually stated with another past tense works basically the same way in! This as: Hier, j ’ ai mangé une pizza A2 | B1 | |!