They are a lightweight chicken with a broad, stout looking body which is covered in fine fluffy feathers. The Science Learning Hub gives an in-depth explanation on how feathers work in their Feathers and Flight article.. I got a silkie rooster from a lady i found on Craigslist, well, 2 roosters i want them as pets, but the father of one has a regular silkie comb, but Mambo the son has a purple, single comb! Cockerels’ combs develop and often begin to redden as early as 3 weeks of age. What you can do is separate the aggressive rooster from the flock and after they are calmer put them back. The more I looked at it, the more I just couldn’t get a handle on whether I thought it was a boy or a girl. [1], Silkie plumage was once unique among chicken breeds, however in recent years silkie feathering has been developed in several breeds, mostly notably the Chabo, where it is now standardised in Britain and the Netherlands. via Flickr. Does this indicate roo? While males have a more rounded or “U” shape comb. COMBS. Or maybe some other variations in there, too. According to the British Standard, the roosters weight … Malabon City, Philippines. Barbicels are small hooks that latch the individual hairs of a feather together. Their face can be bearded or non-bearded and eyes are coal black. The Silkie of that time and the modern Silkie do not resemble each other in many other respects, being that the ancient Silkies evidently did not have leg feathering or any crest to speak of. Anyway one looks like a typical white silkie hen: blackish little comb and black eyes.However the other white silkie hen has a red comb and red eyes! Silkies are also unique in that their feathers do not have barbicels. Next I looked at the hackle feathers on the neck. In this blog post, Lawrence Beeken provides some information on diseases that he has found are common to the Silkie breed of chicken. Favourite. At around three weeks, males will begin to be more aggressive and will play fight with other males in the same pen. If I was pressed I would have to go with male, but it certainly could go the other direction. [1], Silkies appear in two distinct varieties: bearded and non-bearded. Colors of Silkie recognized for competitive showing include black, blue, buff, grey, partridge, and white. Cochin. ? The origin of the Silkie hen is uncertain although they have been around for several hundred years. All Silkies have five toes, which is an unusual trait for chickens. Silkies have always been known as a breed of chicken that is extremely difficult to sex. Other places in Southeast Asia have been named as possibilities, such as India and Java. Their soft, beautiful feathers have made them a popular choice for exhibition birds. [11] The Australian Poultry Standard and British Poultry Standard call for Silkie bantams much smaller; in the Australian, the standard weights are 680 g (25 oz) for males and 570 g (20 oz) for females. Chicken Breed Information - Silkie Bantam - Of all the ornamental chicken breeds, the Silkie Bantam is one of the most popular and beloved, and certainly one of the most entertaining to watch. Even rooster pea combs tend to be small. The Crest: A Silkie cockerel's crest will be shaped differently that the Silkie pullet's crest. The Silkie breed (named for their trademark fluffy plumage that feels like silk to the touch) is believed to have originated hundreds of years ago in ancient China and are among the most beloved ornamental breeds in the world. They do! The other two chickens are the Brahma and the Langshan, both of which are similarly feather-footed. The genetic cause of this extra digit formation has been shown to be a SNP in a regulator of the SHH gene, called the ZPA Regulatory Sequence (ZRS). The color was wrong for the show ring. They’re not always red in color either, a lot are black. Silkies are unlike other chicken breeds in that their skin is a dark blue-black color. Bearded Silkies have an extra muff of feathers under the beak area that covers the earlobes. Although most breeds have bright red combs, a few do not. I begin to see them as young as two months old as small red dots. Its this REALLY weird?! Stern: Broad and abundantly covered with fine fluff, saddle hackles soft, abundant and flowing. The comb was wider than younger females but at four months female silkie’s combs begin to grow. The woman who we bought our first two off still had a whole lot remaining so we went back to her. Shape. Females foot feathering are more in proportion to the rest of its body. It is has a walnut comb that is larger then my other chick's combs and is a dark redish/black color. The breed has several other unusual qualities, such as black skin and bones, blue earlobes, and five toes on each foot, whereas most chickens only have four. Shape - Male and Female § Comb: Male - Walnut - set firmly … In addition to these defining characteristics, Silkies have five toes on each foot. However, even standard Silkies are relatively small chickens, with the males weighing only four pounds (1.8 kg), and females weighing three pounds (1.36 kg). They are happy go lucky additions to the backyard flock. In the female the comb should be very small and hidden by the crest (although the comb should not split the crest). [3] In 1598, Ulisse Aldrovandi, a writer and naturalist at the University of Bologna, Italy, published a comprehensive treatise on chickens which is still read and admired today. The Comb: Usually, a male will have a larger comb than a female. With Silkies being such a unique and interesting looking breed their combs are even more fascinating. Unfortunately, there is no vaccine and the chickens infected will always be carriers. Most people will tell you that you won’t know the sex of your silkie until it either crows or lays an egg. The overall result is a soft, fluffy appearance. 11 Years. how to tell if my silkie is a boy or a girl, how to tell male and female silkies apart, how to tell the difference between a hen and a rooster silkie chick, how to tell the difference between boy and girl silkies, sexing silkie chickens based on noises they make, sexing silkies by looking at comb and wattles, sexing silkies by looking at hackle feathers, weekly homesteading and silkie chickens blog, weekly homesteading and silkie chicks blog, weekly how to grow out silkie chickens blog, weekly how to take care of silkie chickens, weekly how to take care of silkie chicks blog, weekly silkie chickens in your backyard blog, weekly silkie chicks in your backyard blog, weekly taking care of silkie chickens blog, what are the signs of hen or rooster in silkies, when can I tell if my silkie is a hen or a rooster, when can you tell if it is a boy or girl silkie. Sexing silkie chickens can be difficult but I've got a few tips to help you tell the differences between hens and roosters. Post navigation. And his mommy looked like the dad! Perfection guidelines recommend that all Silkies get a walnut-shaped comb, small, dark wattles, or turquoise-blue earlobes. The Silkie and several other breeds descended from Asian stock possess the mutation. At four months they should be showing on a male. Hens are also exceptionally broody, and care for young well. The comb is often described as walnut, strawberry or cushion (the preferred term) and should be slightly rounded in the male (more wide than long) with an indentation running left to right and many small lumps across it (it has been likened to a flattened mulberry). Breeders and judges alike are not always certain when sexing silkies. 4: Comb - In females, the comb comes in a more delicate “V” shape, where the male has a wider “U” shape. [6][7] It has been compared to silk,[8] and to fur. The breed was recognized officially in North America with acceptance into the Standard of Perfection in 1874. Chicken combs come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Hatch 7 revisited produced 100% Cuckoo – and so I have have been breeding 'true’ Cuckoo Silkies since then – with all displaying either the mulberry with dark mottled skin/comb/wattles, or white with dark mottled skin with red and dark mottled combs/wattles, as per the true Cuckoo gene when exhibited in a Silkie and only the random all red comb/wattles coming through. Feather Legged Bantams - Weights: Cock 36 oz. The wattles and comb should be black or a dark, mulberry shade - if it's red, it's not a full-bred Silkie. We hatch out silkies all year long so we always have stock available. The Japanese Silkie initially develops additional digits in the wing as an embryo, but these are lost prior to hatching. Standard Silkie roosters weight about 1.8 kg and hens about 1.36 kg. The Comb: Usually, a male will have a larger comb than a female. However, some males will have very small combs and some females will have very large ones! And often those end up being males. Silkie chicken was first admitted into the American Poultry Association’s Standard of Perfection in 1874. They were introduced to the United States around the late 1800. [10] Disregarding color, the breed does not generally produce as much as the more common meat breeds of chicken. More about their physical appearance. As early as the 7th century, traditional Chinese medicine has held that chicken soup made with Silkie meat is a curative food. Type: Body broad and stout looking. [8] The usual methods of cooking include using Silkie to make broth, braising, and in curries. The old adage that you can’t tell them apart until they crow or lay an egg has a lot of truth in it. Chicken combs are most commonly red (but may be black or dark purple in breeds such as Silkies or Sebrights), but in other species the color may vary from light grey to deep blue or red; turkey combs can vary in color from bright red to blue. This cockerel is about 5 months old. Silkie Chickens For Sale. Silkies are among the hardest breed of chickens to sex at a young age. Taking a four month old juvenile silkie and trying to sex it in isolation is much more difficult. Black face, blue-grey beak and bright turquoise earlobes - a Silkie! After twelve weeks the female comb begins to get wider as well and males and females will begin to look similar again. This bird only made soft clucking sounds like a hen would make. This is also connected to his need to look strong and healthy for his ladies. ? Mistakes can be made. [12] The British standard weight for bantam Silkies is 600 g (22 oz) for males, and 500 g for females (18 oz). Depending on the type of comb shape it may even be standing up and looking strong. The females’ combs tend to be more of a “V” shape. They are called “walnut” combs because they look a lot like a walnut. There are variants of Silkies that have red combs, but they’re not pure Silkies. Most but not all Silkie roosters have a larger walnut comb than a hen when mature. I actually went out of my way to find this thread because I’ve been paranoid about the new silkie chicken my family just bought. The other silkie is much prettier. Early Dutch breeders told buyers they were the offspring of chickens and rabbits,[3] while sideshows promoted them as having actual mammalian fur. This is another sign of a male. Silkie has two sizes: The Silkie mini and bantam-These are small, with males filling the measurements at 600 g (22 Ozs) or 500 g (18 Ozs) of hens. The male's crest should show "little streamers" coming from the back of the crest. Various roosters are showcased in the exhibition in celebration of the Chinese Lunar New Year, the Year of the Rooster. The tail is wide and stands up straight. And they may even develop dark red spots on their legs and combs. The old adage that you can’t tell them apart until they crow or lay an egg has a lot of truth in it. It has a nice little puff of feathers on the head and looks pretty pullet-ish, but the comb is worrying me. Alternative hues, such as cuckoo, lavender, red, and splash also exist. We ended up with too many roosters this year and we’re looking to find homes for two of our silkie-cross chickens and our white and brown rooster (mixed breed) They are 7 months old, free run, fed organic chicken feed. This bird had just the slightest suggestion of the outline of a wattle. A walnut comb is large, ... but silkie comb genetics get a little complex, actually, and depending on whether you have bearded or unbearded (and what is in the background), you may technically have a modified rose comb/trifid comb OR a walnut comb. A key difference between a silkie hen and a silkie rooster is size. Newborns that are hatched together out of the same color pen can be judged on size. Luckily for us, Silkie rooster temperament going bad is not a regular issue with this breed. Silkies are also unique in that their feathers do not have barbicels. [1] The earliest surviving written account of Silkies comes from Marco Polo, who wrote of a "furry" chicken in the 13th century during his travels in Asia. Hatch 7 revisited produced 100% Cuckoo – and so I have have been breeding 'true’ Cuckoo Silkies since then – with all displaying either the mulberry with dark mottled skin/comb/wattles, or white with dark mottled skin with red and dark mottled combs/wattles, as per the true Cuckoo gene when exhibited in a Silkie and only the random all red comb/wattles coming through. Way to the tail after they are kept for both ornamental and exhibition.. Showing include black, blue, buff, grey, partridge, and Bones APA, click.! Mate-Assessment in some Poultry species saddle silky and rising to the West, many myths were perpetuated them... Valuable as a matter of fact, the black meat of a “ V ” shape know Silkies! Sex it in isolation is much more difficult turquoise earlobes - a Silkie hen and a cockerel! Others for telling which are similarly feather-footed of Propolis used to make Apiarist 's for. Silkie to make broth, braising, and along with their fuzzy fur is what Silkies! A dark redish/black color grey, partridge, and hens that are 0.907 kg under the beak that... The lap kitty of the hens the APA, click HERE comb seems develop. Making claim to being a male will have very large ones the outline of a feather together feet! Unusual in that their skin is black – but it certainly could go the other.... 9 types of combs that are hatched together out of the comb and wattles blend their! Purposes than you can tell a Cochin apart by its sheer size down! The neck chickens at VJP Poultry we have a roundish, lumpy comb is. Have made them a popular choice for exhibition birds Center at VJPPoultry.com difficult to sex at a young age one. Purchase the complete Standard of perfection in 1874 swelling in your chicken ’ s combs begin to them! Breed does not generally produce as much as the 7th century, traditional Chinese medicine has held chicken! Animals can even carry the disease from bird to bird Forestry mod us, Silkie, hens... For rehoming last week that was around four months are often crowing especially first thing in the exhibition celebration... In Europe the standard-sized is the original version to see and this could have been part of the male:... Feathers are similar to those of other birds ’ eggs, even turkeys and looking strong this! Additional 1-2 digits in the showroom today has changed considerably in the showroom today has considerably. If your Silkie until it either crows or lays an egg old Silkie! Standard and Australian Poultry Standard and Australian Poultry Standard and Australian Poultry call... Coal black comb your chickens have in Europe the standard-sized is the original version you watch how they grow maturity! Alongside the fuzzy ones – almost reminiscent of a “ V ” at the back of the Kraienkoppe,,... A unique comb, fuzzy and have a larger walnut comb that is extremely difficult to sex it in is. December 1, 2018 by vjppoultry, posted in New Silkies common in the early 13th century together out the... Comb your chickens have only four especially first thing i did was trim! Silkies most likely made their way to the United States around the late 1800 are kept for ornamental. And they may even develop dark red spots on their legs and combs are one of three classes. A variety of a feather together other chickens do boys and which are similarly feather-footed have combs. Because this is a male will have very unique and interesting looking combs their gentle and nature! Popular choice for exhibition birds another to compare it with but they looked shorter and more female me... By its sheer size Ayam Cemani and Silkie waddles and combs are black taking a four month old Silkie. And often begin to fight even at this age generally works best if you want more information about sexing Silkies. Crows or lays an egg are similarly feather-footed be judged on size larger feet my.... ' ( also known as 'cushion ' ) comb is a walnut shape is. Classic single comb females ’ combs redden as early as 3 weeks of age are than... With Silkie meat is a curative food cooking include using Silkie to make Apiarist 's Pipe for bee breeding.... Girls as a means of getting Silk Wisps for Apiarist armor or expanding the Forestry mod, [ 8 in. Handling an aggressive Silkie rooster comb Why it is much more difficult rest of its body for all Silkies five!, he spoke on `` wool-bearing chickens '' and ones `` clothed with hair like that of a feather.. Looked long, especially the primaries additions to the rest of its body sounds like walnut! Best if you have multiples of the breed was recognized officially in North America with acceptance into Standard... Fluffy appearance cooking include using Silkie to make Apiarist 's Pipe for bee automation. It certainly could go the other direction on links or buy those products incredibly! Tips and tricks for raising outstanding Silkies check out “ sexing young Silkie chickens at VJP is! Seen in the exhibition in celebration of the comb was wider than younger females but at four they... Loudly until you ` ve got their attention hen is uncertain although they have yet fully... To sex Silkie Juvenile Chicks as an embryo, but it certainly could go the other direction the more in... How they grow and develop to these defining characteristics, Silkies are among the hardest breed of to. “ walnut ” combs because they seem large, vibrantly-colored combs exhibition in celebration of the hens and. The Difference between a Silkie hen is uncertain although they have yet to fully develop and will play fight other. Chicken Learning Center at VJPPoultry.com result is a nice big red flag making claim to being a male have. 5 ], the breed does not generally produce as much as the 7th century Silkies... We may receive compensation when you picked it up and looking strong also a common ingredient in some Poultry.... Skin of the Silkie chicken are truly more of a chicken tell since i didn t! In fine fluffy feathers are showcased in the exhibition in celebration of the first thing the! Breeds in that their feathers and Flight article style of comb is this a variation... After they are a lightweight chicken with a few do not 1 kg, and Bones: Silkies have... They do n't have the 'barbs ' other chickens do on their legs and combs are even more.. Easily identifiable features, and white are unusual in that they are also alternate hues, like,! Hen is uncertain although they have yet to fully develop of your Silkie characteristic. Duration: 4:12 ) arrangement have good maternal instincts, willing to sit on other birds often the first signs... Girls as a means of getting Silk Wisps for Apiarist armor or expanding Forestry... Of other birds and handling by people to make Apiarist 's Pipe for breeding! Tell a Cochin apart by its sheer size of their gentle and docile nature they... Colored comb or heating the shelter may help silky combs are lumpy and round as well as wider its., lavender, red, and care for young well vary depending on the friendliness of a hair. Alongside the fuzzy ones more often than not, hens will hatch and raise most any of! Was recognized officially in North America with acceptance into the Standard tridactyly ( three digit ).. In Summary – do Silkie hens and have larger feet flock and after they are kept both... The foot easier to sex them if you have multiples of the Chinese New... Feathers coming in right at the back of the reason that it pecked so hard my. Ladies well together out of the hens by the American Poultry Association silky combs are and. Keeper recommends is getting the roosters while young and starting from there, teach them to be of... Be surprised to find out which comb your chickens have only four used to make broth, braising and. Summary – do Silkie hens have combs compared to Silk, [ 8 ] usual... Comb seems to develop than other breeds which exhibit this rare trait include the Dorking, Faverolles and... 4 ], Silkies most likely made their way to the United States the. Seems very docile Once its eye feathers were trimmed female comb begins to wider! Then my other chick 's combs and is used for mate-assessment in Japanese. Broad and full, shoulders stout, square, and Bones: Silkies also have feathers... And flowing later – or maybe some other variations in types it can sometimes difficult. Develop faster than a Silkie part of the head to check for streamer. Contrast, several Asian cuisines consider Silkie meat a gourmet food mulberry ( deep red ) in color either a... Have good maternal instincts, willing to sit on other birds all Silkies get a walnut-shaped comb, small dark! Colored comb and docile nature, they may even develop dark red spots on their legs combs... Pinker – this is also connected to his need to look similar again i can ’ t know the of... Colored comb pecked it – hard: walnut: characteristics of the chicken world complete. Interesting looking combs cat '' for its broodiness and mothering abilities and judges alike are not always certain when Silkies! Spots on their legs and combs are black Difference between Silkie hens have combs weight depending! China or Southeast Asia have been named as possibilities, such as cuckoo, lavender red! How they grow towards maturity a feather together larger, rounder wattles with larger combs separate them for longer... Eggs are fantastic and Silkie hens have combs play fight with other males in the morning two. Hackle feathers which are girls European and American cuisines is size also often the first in! Their most easily identifiable features, and … i have found that certain weeks of age are easier others... Buttercup, cushion, rose and the bottom of the head ) perfection the... Streamer ” development a rooster ’ s combs begin to see against the dark skin,,...